Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Informational Books and an author visit


Another book for the challenge is done. I picked Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson as one of my informational selections. I had a friend recommend this book to me a couple of months back, but didn't think much about it because I thought it sounded like something my grandma would read. It sounded like a boring old lady book about some ladies having tea and thinking about the good ole' days. I tend to judge books by the covers- I know I shouldn't but I'm not going to lie, I do a LOT. But I hadn't seen the cover of this book yet. I was walking through Ollie's a local discount store that has awesome books for sale at a very low cost, I'm talking 3.99 for a brand new title. So I was walking around children's book aisle and found this book- it was the young readers edition and the cover didn't match what my mind thought the book was going to be about. So for 2.50 I grabbed it and decided to include it in the challenge and then after that I would donate it to the Library--budget cuts means no new books for us. The Young Reader edition includes wonderful extras, such as, maps, definitions, timeline, color pictures and more. This is a true story written by a man named Greg who got lost while hiking up a large mountain. He received help from a nearby village in Pakistan. The people from this village soon became his friend. After touring their small village, he learned that the kids did not have a school. They sat in an open field area and wrote with sticks and mud to do their lessons. So that day Greg vowed to the village that he would raise money to build a proper school for all the children. Along the way, Greg has to deal with many frustrating and scary trials, things like being kidnapped! At one point it seems as if Greg will not be able to build this school for the village. But Greg keeps on working and finds some people to help him out. I give this book 5 stars in my review because it is a wonderful story and teaches all of us readers to look beyond ourselves and our needs and help those who really need it.
For me the challenge is going well. But I haven't been reading any other adult books right now. Not because I am so focused on the challenge, just because I can't seem to find anything good to read right now. Our Library did find out that we are hosting Margaret Peterson Haddix here on November 5, 2009 at 4:00 p.m. Margaret Peterson Haddix is a wonderful children's author, who lives in Columbus Ohio. She is the author of one of my favorite books ever, Among the Hidden. Really, all of her books are wonderful and if you haven't read them- you really should. Do you have a favorite book by her? If so, we would love to know which one. I am going to be reading up on some more of her books before her visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment